- The foreign tourist visiting Nepal shall be granted the tourist visa.
- The tourist visa shall be granted for a period in maximum of 150 days in a visa year (Visa years means January to December).
- A tourist who has departed before the expiry of the period specified in the visa issued in a visa year shall not be allowed to use the visa by adding the remaining period to another visa year.
- If any foreigner who has entered into Nepal towards the end of a visa year desires to spend even the period during which he may stay in Nepal with the tourist visa of the other visa year, he may use such facility.
Provided, however, that the computation of the fees for such period shall be made on the basis of the total period of his stay.
- An application for the tourist visa has to be submitted in the format as referred to in Appendix 1.
- Foreigners, who have entered In Nepal to stay for a night in Nepal and willing to use Nepal's Air port to visit another country with plane ticket or Foreigners, traveling in the accidentally force landed plane for any circumstances shall be issued transit visa for one day.
- An application for the transit visa has to be submitted in the format as referred to in Appendix 3.
Points of entry or exit:
The point of entry and exit for the purpose of the foreigner entering into or departing from Nepal by obtaining a visa shall be as follows:
- Immigration Office, Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
- Immigration Office, Kakarvitta, Jhapa (Eastern Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Birganj, Parsa (Central Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Kodari, Sindhupalchowk (Northern Border)
- Immigration Office, Belahia, Bhairahawa (Rupandehi, Western Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Jamunaha, Nepalgunj (Banke, Mid Western Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Mohana, Dhangadhi (Kailali, Far Western Nepal)
- Immigration Office, Gaddachauki, Mahendranagar (Kanchanpur, Far Western Nepal)
Arrival and Departure form to be filled up:
Every foreigner entering into or departing from Nepal has to fill-up Arrival and Departure form and submit such form to the immigration office.
Certification of arrival and departure:
Every person entering into or departing from Nepal shall get his entry and departure certified at his entry or departure point. In the case of the person who has not got so registered his arrival or departure, if he submits an application, along with the reason therefor, the department may,if it deems reasonable after investigation thereabout,certify the arrival or departure.
Documents to be produced:
In cases where the officials of the Department or the Offices thereunder and the authorised Officers of the District Administration Office in such places where such personnel are not available, the police officials and border administration officials require any foreigner to show his passport, visa, trekking permit and documents relating thereto, such foreigner has to show such documents immediately.
Notice of change in address:
- If a foreigner except in tourist visa, permitted to stay in Nepal more than six months, makes change in his Nepal based residential address mentioned in the application submitted for the issuance of visa or the extension of the term of visa, such foreigner shall compulsorily furnish the Department, Office or local police office with a notice containing his name, passport number and new address as well, within seven days.
- If a foreigner has stayed in Nepal for more than 120 days goes to any other place of Nepal for spending more than 24 hours, he has to register with the local Police Office of such place his presence along with the detail showing his name, passport number and address as well.
Restriction to work:
- (1) A foreigner having obtained a visa as a tourist or his family member pursuant to these Rules shall not be allowed to work, with or without receiving remuneration, in any industry, business, enterprise or organisation during his stay in Nepal .
- A foreigner having obtained a visa pursuant to these Rules shall not be allowed to carry out any work other than that for which purpose he has obtained the visa.
Recommendation for and issuance of visa provisionally:
- In cases where it takes time to make recommendation for the study, non-tourist and business visa, the concerned Ministry may, upon assigning the said reason, make recommendation for the provisional study, non-tourist and business visa for a period not exceeding three months.
- In cases where it take time for the foreigner referred to in sub-rule (1) (h) of Rule 8 to submit the marriage registration certificate, the Department may, on the basis of the recommendation of the authority or the embassy of the concerned country, issue the non-tourist visa for a period not exceeding three months.
Issuance of travel permit:
The Department may issue the travel permits to those foreigners who are not able to obtain new passports due to the loss, deface or expiry of the term thereof or due to any other reasons, in order to enable them to depart out side from Nepal. Provided, however, that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall issue such permit in the case of the person holding diplomatic and official passport.
Transfer of visa:
In case where any foreigner has obtained the travel permit or a new passport due to the loss or expiry of the term of old passport, the Ministry of Foreign affairs for diplomatic and official visa or the department for other visa may transfer the visa to the travel permit or to the passport.
Application for extension of the term of visa:
An application has to be submitted in the format as referred to in Appendix 8 for the extension of the term of a visa except a diplomatic and official visa.
Circumstances in which a visa may be cancelled:
The Department may cancel a visa of any foreigner in the following circumstances:
- If he fails to produce an international health certificate as and when required to do so.
- If he becomes insane or goes mad.
- If he is found to have absconded after committing any serious criminal offence.
- If he is found to be suffering from any contagious or communicable disease.
- If his presence seems to cause detrimental effect in peace and security of Nepal or in the mutual fraternity of the people of Nepal.
- If his conduct is found to be suspicious or if he carries out, or causes to be carried out, any undesirable activities.
- If his presence seems to result in adverse impact on the social and culture environment in Nepal.
- If he violates, or causes to violate, the Act, these Rules and other prevailing law.
- If he carries out any other acts or things not in consonance with the purpose for which the visa has been issued or the purpose of visa ends before the provided visa period.
- To cancel his last visa,if he receives recommendation to provide another category of visa from the concerned institutions.
In the case of cancellation of a visa pursuant to sub-rule (1), the fees paid therefor shall not be refundable.
- The visa fees or other fees to be charged for the issuance of a visa for the entry into or presence in Nepal, for the extension of the visa or the regulation of the visa of the foreigner who has over-stayed or the issuance of the travel permit or the transference of the visa shall be prescribed in Appendix -9.
Provided, however, that the children below the age of ten years shall be exempted from visa fees.
- The visa fees chargeable for the citizens of the countries which charge fee higher or lower than the fees prescribed under sub-rule (1) shall be based on reciprocity.
- Fees to be levied while issuing tourist visa by the Mission or entry point:
- US Dollars 25 or other convertible foreign currency equivalent thereto for 15 days multiple entry visa.
- US Dollars 40 or other convertible foreign currency equivalent thereto for 30 days multiple entry visa.
- US Dollars 100 or other convertible foreign currency equivalent thereto for 90 days multiple entry visa.
- Not withstanding anything written in clause (a) and (b), no visa fee shall be applicable to the passport holder of member states of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) for 30 days .
- Fees to be levied for renewal or regularization of tourist visa
- Nepalese currency equivalent to 2 US dollars per day to renew the validity of tourist visa.
- In case where request has also been made for the facility of multiple entry, just valid for the renewal period an additional amount in Nepalese currency equivalent to U. S. Dollars 20 to the fee as referred to in Clause (a).
- In regularizing visa of any foreigner stayed without renewal of validity of the tourist visa, Nepalese currency equivalent 3 US dollars per day shall be levied in addition to the normal amount to be paid for renewal of the validity of visa as per these Regulations.
- Foreigners, who have already been overstayed more than 150 days without renewing the tourist visa shall be levied the fees referred in clause 2(c) and penalty amount as referred to in section 10(4) of Immigration act in addition.
- Not withstanding anything written in clause 2(a), the period of visa fee shall be levied, for the purpose to renew tourist visa for up to15 days if the visa be of a period less than 15 days and as referred to in clause 2(a) for more than this.
- Fees chargeable while issuing, or extending the validity of the study visa:
- If the study visa for 30 days has to be issued at the time of entry, 30 US$ or other convertible foreign currency equivalent thereto.
- In issuing or extending the study visa to the student studying in Degree programme and to their dependants, Nepalese currency equivalent to 20 US$ per month, to the student studying in Non-Degree programme and to their dependants, Nepalese currency equivalent to 50 US$ per month.
- For the student from Bangladesh and to their dependants Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 15 per year with multiple facility, on the basis of reciprocity.
- For the students from Maldives and to their dependants Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 25 per year on the basis of reciprocity.
- For the students from Bhutan and to their dependants Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 10 per month.
- Not withstanding anything written in clause 3(b), for the students from Sri Lanka and Pakistan should provide study visa without any fee on the basis of reciprocity. But the dependants of these students shall be levied Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 10 per month as visa fee.
- For the dependants of foreigners, who are permitted to get study visa without fee in Nepal within the teachers exchange progrmme with Nepal based Universities and foreign Universities shall be levied Nepalese currency equivalent to US $ 10 per month.
- Foreigners to come to teaching and to do research and to their dependants shall be levied Nepalese currency equivalent to US$ 40 per month.