Nepal FAQ

What will happen if I get sick on the trek?
Either you will get better, or if it seems serious we will evacuate you with Helicopter and will be taken to Hospital in Kathmandu where you'll get excellent attention. Our staffs are well versed in medical and emergency care and carry a reasonably comprehensive first aid kit.

What will happen if I get injured?
If it is serious (this has never happened). You will again be taken care by our staff. If evacuation is required this will be arranged by TREKKINGTEAM NEPAL. It's advised that if you have any personal doubts you should have evacuation insurance arranged. TREKKINGTEAM NEPAL can advise you on this.

Will I get sick?
Not likely. The worst is you may get some diarrhea or temporary stomach upset. Please look our staying healthy during holiday topic for details .Follow the health advice given in our briefings during welcome dinner and you'll be fine.

What is the accommodation like?
This varies between the various styles of our tours. At minimum it will be comfortable, clean and basic 'tea house' accommodation, much like a cottage during trek. These offer basic facilities, many with hot water and showers, good but simple foods and a chance to experience local culture, while in Kathmandu from 3 to 5 star hotels. Please check it out before you book a trip.

There's also deluxe tented accommodations with all services provided and which Nepal is renowned for.
TREKKINGTEAM NEPAL has its own full range of camping and cooking equipment to be sure our standards are maintained and this we offer when you book a Camping trek. TREKKINGTEAM NEPAL always likes to offer accommodations that blend & complement the nature of your tour and do not have that generic 'blah' feeling about them. It also depends on price!

Is there a problem with altitude sickness?
For our tours/treks below 4000m, there is little likelihood of being subject to altitude sickness, unless you are taking one of our more extreme adventure tours. Kathmandu rests at an altitude of only 1350-m (4430ft) and at this altitude there is no likelihood of altitude related sickness.

We'll be advising you well in advance if altitude is an issue. Our tours/treks above 4000m do require acclimatization periods and any of our tours needing acclimatization has it built into the itinerary and that comes from 13 years of experience and the best medical advice?.. So don't worry. If you want to know more about altitude sickness please look the topic staying healthy.

What is the food like?
Vegetarian and non-Veg. Good and exactly what you need for energy. The cook will provide anything from pizza to curry, and scrambled eggs to chocolate cake. In Teahouse treks you'll have a full menu available to choose from. You will not go hungry and we welcome suggestions.

How cold will it be?
Depends on the season of course and generally it's comfortable tours/treks. Please ask for more details based on the tour of your preference. You could be trekking in a T-shirt or with a wind breaker, but mostly the days are fine and the evenings cool to chilly. For Kathmandu valley it is just perfect for most of the time. If you are doing treks above 4000m in winter then it could get -10 degree Celsius at the most.

Can I call home or the office?
Kathmandu and many places we visit are linked to a phone system with STD and ISD facilities. In KTM/PKR there are all the facilities you need including fax and full internet / e-mail. If you are doing trek in completely remote area of the country like Dolpo, Kanchenjunga then you will have no access for any communication for few days to few weeks. The TREKKINGTEAM NEPAL office can always be used to dispatches messages.

How much money do I need?
Hard to say! You may need money for a taxi fare, for a beer, presents and tips. If you do not intend to buy lots of gifts and are not intending to extend your stay, then for a week US$200 should be ample. But have contingency plans (credit card) just in case. It also depends on your TREKKINGTEAM NEPAL tour package and what's included.

How hard is it?
Depending on what sort of tour/treks you are taking. Mostly tours featured in this site are easy so simple healthy people can enjoy a tour. For trekking you most be fit enough to trek about 6 hours a day. We have given grading for all the tours/treks featured in this site so please look at the grading system for more details.

Can I arrange an extension?
Yes, and there is a huge range of great activities that TREKKINGTEAM NEPAL can introduce you to. We can assist with culture tours to all adventure activities in the region. TREKTEAM also runs "Trips in Bhutan, Sikkim, Ladak, Lhasa" and as such have the facilities for many adventure tours.

What will I need to carry on the trek?
Very little. The porter will carry your all the luggage. The most you will need is water, maybe extra clothing (windbreaker) if the weather is changeable and your camera etc. You should check on this when booking your tour as tours vary. If you are doing mountaineering then you should be able to carry about 15-20 KG.

Can I join a group trek?
Please visit our website for a list of our scheduled group departures. If one of these does not fit your schedule, we can arrange a special trek for you, whether you are travelling alone or with a few friends.

What is the maximum weight allowed on domestic flights?
The normal weight limit is 15 kilogrammes for all domestic flight we therefore recommend you not to overload yourself.

How many extra days should I allow in case of flight cancellation?
If you are flying from a remote mountain airstrip like Lukla, Jomsom, Simikot, Taplejung and Dolpo, we should keep at least two spare days before your departure for home.

I've heard about Maoists near Jiri. Is it safe to start from there?
Though there is some insurgency in villages near Jiri, tourists have not been targeted. However, precaution should be taken and we feel that it's safe to start a trek from Jiri.

Is a trekking permit required?
The government of Nepal no longer requires a trekking permit except for a few restricted areas. However, we do require your passport details in advance in order to make your national park or conservation permit.

Are Trekking Teams trekking crew insured?
Our company insures all our trekking staff, including porters.

What arrangements for drinking water are made while on trek?
You should bring a one-litre water bottle with you on the trek. We prefer that you purify water yourself using iodine in order to save scarce fuel. You can also buy mineral water if you trek areas like Annapurna, Everest and Langtang.

Can I go trekking in the months of June and July?
It is not very good trekking during the monsoon season from June to August except treks in the Himalayan rain shadow like Mustang and Kailash.

What is the Electricity System in Nepal or Will my Lap top work in Nepal ?
Nepal's Electricity is 220 Volt and 50 MHZ (50 Cycles per Second). Electric Plug is two or three round prongs, but not flat prongs as found in use in the United States or in other countries. If your electronic uses 110 Volt 60 MHZ electricity, you will need a voltage convert.

We have heard that people visiting Nepal have had their hair driers blown up, lap tops fried and electric razer gone crazy! Voltage converters and plug adapters are available in stores near you or in shopping centers in Airport Terminals. Your hotel manager can also help you with this issue.

Nepal's electricity is not smooth. Voltage fluctuation is very common and it is advised that you use a robust power surge protector for your electronics.

Nepal does not produce enough electricity so there are seasons when power may be disrupted for hours - they call it load shedding. Keep in touch with local newspapers or your hotel reception about the hours power may be off. Also Nepal's electricity goes on and off randomly all the time. If you are working on the computers found in the hotels, make sure they have UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) otherwise save your work every now and then...

Are there ATM facilities in Nepal?
There are many ATM machines in Kathmandu and in Pokhara. ATM machines are slowly being introduced to other city like Butwal and Dharhan. In Thamel street alone, there are three machines, including one in the Kathmandu Guest House. International credit cards (Master Card, Visa Card etc ) are accepted in all leading hotels, shopping centers, bars and restaurants in Nepal. Travelers cheques are also accepted here.          
What type of cards are accepted ? Debit or Credit ? Visa or Masters or Discover or Dinners ?
Most popular cards accepted in Nepal are VISA, MASTERCARD and American Express. Both Debit and Credit Cards are accepted here. American Travelers Cheques are also accepted in most Banks, Hotels, and Travel companies.